Most visitors to Viet Nam need a visa to enter the country. Visas are exempted for the citizens of the countries which have signed a bilateral or unilateral visa exemption agreement with Viet Nam.
Vietnamese people that hold foreign passports and foreigners who are their husbands, wives and children are exempt from visa requirements to enter Viet Nam and are allowed to stay for not more than 90 days. In order to be granted visa exemption certificates at Vietnamese representative offices abroad, overseas Vietnamese need conditions:
– Foreign-issued permanent residence certificate (PRC) with the validity of at least six months since the date of entrance.
– Visa exemption paper (VEP) is granted by Vietnamese appropriate authorities.
– Those who expect to stay more than 90 days must apply for visa according to current stipulations before their entrance.
Foreigners or Vietnamese holding foreign passports are exempt from visas to enter and stay in Phu Quoc Island (Kien Giang Province) for not more than 30 days.
Bilateral visa exemption agreement
Citizens of Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and Laos holding valid ordinary passports are exempt from visa requirements and are allowed to stay for not more than 30 days; Philippines is allowed to stay for not more than 21 days; Brunei and Myanmar citizens are allowed to stay for not more than 14 days and vice versa.
By October 2013, citizens of 75 countries holding valid diplomatic or official passports are exempt from visa requirements and vice versa, including: Argentina, Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Chile, China, Colombia, Croatia, Cuba, Czech Republic, Dominica, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Estonia, France, Germany, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Italia, Israel, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nicaragua, North Korea, Kuwait, Pakistan, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Switzerland, Tanzania, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arad Emirates (U.A.E), Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Venezuela.
Duration of stay is applied for each specific object. For more information, please visit the website: www.mofa.gov.vn.
Unilateral visa exemption
– Visa with 30-day validity is exempted for officials from ASEAN secretariat holding different kinds of passports.
– Citizens of Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland holding different kinds of passports; citizens of Japan, South Korea and Russia holding ordinary passports are exempt from visa requirements and are allowed to stay for not more than 15 days.
– Unilateral visa exemption for Vietnames citizens
The republic of Panama is exempt from visa requirements with tourism purpose for Vietnamese citizens holding ordinary passports.
Visas are issued at the Vietnamese diplomatic offices or consulates in foreign countries. Visa is issued at the border gates to those who have written invitations by a Vietnamese competent agencies or tourists participating in tours organized by Vietnamese international travel companies.
Visa applications must include a printed application filled in completely and accurately; two 4×6cm photos, a passport and visa fee.
Visa extension services are available at almost travel agencies.
Tourist visas are valid for 30 days